2014 North Korea development international conference
|Venue||Grand Ballroom, The Westin Chosun Seoul||Date||2014-07-02 ~ 2014-07-02|
|Host||The Export-Import Bank of Korea; Freie Universitat Berlin||Organizer|
|Sponsor||Ministry of Unification; Ministry of Strategy and Finance||Contact||02-3779-5370, firstname.lastname@example.org|
This event will be provided in both English and Korean.
2014 North Korea development international conference:
Building a foundation for unification through Northeast Asia
and North Korea development cooperation
InvitationPresident Park Geun-hye's recent remark likening unification to a 'bonanza' has rekindled the Korean public's interest in the six decade-old national question. Her conceptualization of unification between the two Korea as "a 'bonanza' not only for the Koreas but for Northeast Asian neighbors as well" takes existing discourse on the subject a step beyond its narrow focus on the Korean Peninsula.
Unification, however, will remain an elusive dream unless actively prepared for. Now is the time for us to prepare for unification uner a Northeast Asian framework. To that end, development cooperation in Northeast Asia taht encompasses North Korea is of vital importance. Such region-wide cooperation would also contribute to peace in this increasingly volatile part of the world.
The Export-Import Bank of Korea, Korea's leading export credit agency entrusted with the operation of the Inter-Korean Cooperation Fund, and Freie Universitat Berlin, an institution renowned for its research on Germany's unification, are holding an international conference to give flesh and substance to the idea of Northeast Asian development cooperation in relation to Korean unification. With the participation of numerous internationally renowned scholars and experts, our conference seeks to take a sober and detailed look at what regional actors and international development institutions have done and could do to promote Northeast Asia's development, including that of North Korea.
I hope thiswill mark the first step toward the formulation of a viable path for overcoming divisions not only in the Korean Peninsula but also in Northeast Asia. We cordially invite you to join us and exchange your views in this timely conference.
Lee Duk-Hoon, Ph.D. Prof. Peter-Andre Alt
Chairman & President President
The Export-Import Bank of Korea Freie Universitat Berlin
|Opening Ceremony (13:30~14:00)|
|Opening Remarks||- Lee Duk-Hoon (Chairman & President, The Export-Import Bank of Korea)|
- Hwang Jin-Ha (Member, The National Assembly)
- Ryoo Kihl-jae (Minister, The Ministry of Unification)
|Session 1: Promoting Development Cooperation in Northeast Asia and North Korea: The Role of International Financial Institutions (14:00~15:40)|
Eastern Europe Cross-Border Cooperation and Development: Lessons for the Korean Peninsula
- Piroska M. NAGY (Director, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development)
The Possibilities and Limitations of International Development Cooperation in Northeast Asia: Lessons from Myanmar
- PARK Cyn-Young (Assistant Chief Economist, Asian Development Bank)
From State Monopoly in Foreign Trade to Integration into World Economy: Financial Institutions of German Unification
- Hans JANUS (Member of the Board, Euler Hermes Deutchland AG)
|Moderator||- CHUN Hongtack (Director, Center for International Development, Korea Development Institute)|
- Wermer KAMPPETER (Former Resident Representative, Friedrich-Ebert Stiftung)
- ZANG Hyougsoo (Professor, Hanyang University)
- JEONG Hyung-Gon (Vice President, Korea Institute for International Economy Policy)
|Coffee Break (15:40~16:00)|
|Session 2: Laying a Foundation for Unification through Northeast Asia and North Korea Development Cooperation: Realities and Challenges (16:00~18:00)|
Construction of Northeast Asia's Logistics Infrastructure and Task of Promoting Trade
- Zhong-Lin LI (Professor, Yanbian University)
Investment Policy toward North Korea and Chin'as Northeastern Provinces
- BAE Chong-Ryel (Senior Research Fellow, The Export-Import Bank of Korea)
Northeast Asia/North Korea Human Resource Development Cooperation
- Bernhard SELIGER (Resident Representative, Hanns Seidel Foundation)
|Moderator||- JO Dongho (Chief, Research Institute for North Korea Development, The Export-Import Bank of Korea)|
- NA Hee-Seung (Principal Researcher, Korea Railroad Research Institute)
- YANG Moon-Soo (Professor, University of North Korean Studies)
- Peter BECK (Korea Representative, The Asia Foundation)
Pre-registration is required to attend. Please R.S.V.P to http://www.koreaexim.go.kr by June 25 (Full name/Title/Institution/Contact Information is required)
- Simultaneous Korean English interpretation will be provided.