There has been radical changes in circumstances concerning the Capital Region of Korea since the new government was launched in 2008: the deregulation on the Capital Region, the introduction of 5+2 Mega Economic Region program and a new national development vision through Green Growth. Furthermore, other capital regions, such as Tokyo Metropolitan area in Japan, Il-de-France in France and South East Region in England, recently presented new development plans which aimed to enhance global competitiveness.
This study thus attempts to build new development strategies for the Capital region taking into account these changing contexts.
Our work consists of six chapters. The first chapter gives an outline of this study. The second chapter reviews a role of the Capital Region and development strategies appearing in the Capital Region (Seoul Metropolitan Area) Readjustment Plan. The third chapter examines changing conditions concerning the capital Region in four aspects: interregional, intraregional and international situations and policy shifts in a new government. The forth chapter draws implications which give these changing conditions to a role of the Capital Region and the development strategies. In the fifth chapter, this study proposes seven policy directions and some detailed strategies for the Capital Region development. These are as follows:
1) The Capital Region Needs to take more aggressive roles beyond a current status as a supporter for balanced national development: as an economic center of East Asia or a leading region in a competition for Green Growth, and as human settlements for almost 25 million people.
2) In regards to globalization of the Capital Region, several cities including Seoul, Incheon, Suwon, Pajoo, Ansan and Pyungtaek needs to be built up as international hub-cities.
3) It is necessary to promote green technologies or green industries and to push ahead energy saving policies in a construction and transport sector for the Capital Region to hold a superior rank in a global rally for green growth.
4) In order to make the Capital Region a decentralized region with multi-center, such an urban planning need to be added as developing a business district near subway catchment areas, dispersing jobs toward the outskirts of Seoul, fostering some regional hub-cities and systemizing transport networks between hub-cities.
5) Advancement of industrial structure and regional cluster development are essential to strengthen industrial competitiveness of the Capital Region.
6) In order to maximize interregional spillover effect between the Capital Region and other provinces, it is necessary to speed up the development of Innovation cities and KTX catchment area, to expand transport networks and to reallocate development gains from the Capital Region
7) Specific action plans are need to be set up to actualize the new government’s statement in 2008 which had in view about a policy shift of the Capital Region management method.
The sixth and the last chapter is a closing part that includes some policy recommendations for the Capital Region development.
- 수도권 발전전략 연구(A study on the capital region's development strategies)
- 이동우; 이춘용; 서연미; 윤영모
수도권 발전전략 연구(A study on the capital region's development strategies)
|Series Title; No||국토연 / 2009-30|
|Subject Country||South Korea(Asia and Pacific)|
|Subject||Territorial Development < National Land Development|